If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!
Custom Search

Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Is permanent job really permanent? - Continued........

Hi Guys,

I hope you all are doing well. Well, my last blog "Is permanent job really permanent?" got many critical reviews. Some of them were even commenting and relating it to marriage saying that  - "Is marriage permanent? we all take vows of 'till death do us apart' but end up being divorced". Well, I am not here to argue because you know some people are very lucky to get anything what they want and some just try and try and try and are still trying. My blog here is not for those who are lucky because lucky people always get anything they want and find success with no issues, but I'm writing this blog who are struggling. And yeah, my blog isn't about any gossips - it's a real truth that I am writing after I meet with people who share their personal experiences.

We as a immigrant come to our dream land with our savings and dreams to achieve success. It's very true that success isn't achieved easily. We struggle and work hard and people try to exploit us according to our circumstances. I have met so many people who are either here on temporary work permits here or their permanent residency is associated with their jobs, and are waiting to change their jobs. The only reason is that they are being exploited some way or the other by their employers.

It is absolutely right that nothing is certain in this life - marriage, death etc. It's true that we take vows in our marriages and they sometimes end up in divorces - but again marriages and jobs aren't same. Is it? In marriage you are personally and emotionally tied but in job it's your obligation. You marry as per your choice but do you work as per your choice? And again you can end up your marriage yourself but is it true with your job? Again, I am not writing about quitting the job, I am writing (and have written - in my previous post) about how for useless reasons our job is terminated. 

My husband was laid off because he didn't know French and they wanted somebody who is Anglo-Français. They should have hired a person according to their needs in the very first place. They gave him two weeks of notice. Is that enough? It might not be hard for Canadians to find a nice job here, but it is definitely hard for a new immigrant to find a job with a qualification done outside Canada. In his second job my husband was told that he could lose his job if didn't go to north of Alberta for a project. It's been 6 months we are living in same province (7 hours driving distance) but separate due to work conditions. Was my husband given an option? My husband wanted to leave, can he? No - because of his permanent resident application obligations. His employers knows that he can exploit my husband and he can't do anything because if he just says he isn't interested, he can fire him, inform CIC and his application can be cancelled.

A friend of mine worked in renowned luxury resort as an executive chef and he came here under CEC category 3 years ago. Under CEC theoretically (with 76 passing points) he is qualified enough to get a job. Still struggling and serving coffees. Can he leave his job - No because he has a one year old child, but surely he can be terminated if he comes late. So, is marriage and job same?

And yes you are saying about the written notices. My husband wasn't given any written notice. He was just informed. Can we argue? No why because we want good reference from them. Yeah, in my previous post the person who was late by 15 mins was given a notice before. But was that in his hand? He was merely late by 15 minutes and that's because there was a problem with public transport. Second time he was late was because of weather conditions. But you know if they want to get rid of you, they can get rid you despite any relevant/irrelevant reason they might have/generate.

Again, not all employers are bad. Some are really realistic. That is why people want to be employed in public/government jobs because they are safe and secured. But there are many other people who are dealing with this type of lay-offs.

I am only writing this blog so that I can clear the myths and misconceptions that our immigrant brother and sisters have. I am not trying to scare people. I have a nice employer and I love working there. On the other hand my husband is struggling. The difference I can see is that - I'm educated here and my husband isn't. If you don't agree then just write your good experience so that may give hope to others but do not contradict other's opinions. This is my blog, my personal experiences and my reviews. You are most welcome to share yours. If I am writing something wrong, then share your legal knowledge so that along with me, our other immigrant brothers know what's ethical and what's not. Share us any knowledge so that we can be lucky as others are and do not worry about our jobs.


3 comments:

  1. Very well written shrutiji...bad to hear about your husband...but you know this is a capitalistic country...everything is based on productivity and return on investment..if your employer is losing money by employing someone..he will not be able to sustain his business..so he will fire that person or his business will die..this applies to both govt/public jobs or private...if you are not productive or not valuable to your organization..you will be fired...n its wrong to say employers try to exploit..what option your husband has to become a PR? none..so its give and take...he has to work up north..so that he can get PR...Gaurav_OT from canadavisa forum :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shruti, you have good job. so as you said, you studied there you have a good job because of it. does going to Canada through education (student visa) and getting a job after studies is easier?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it all depends on the field you are studying in and in which province you are residing in. I have many friends who have got a job in nice companies just after completing studies and many of them are still struggling. It all depends on the area of study you are in.

      Delete