If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!
Custom Search

Search This Blog

Monday, July 29, 2013

How to find a job in Canada?

Hello Guys,

I know I am bit late on my next blog, but what to do I got so busy at work and didn't have any time to write upon. Reading so many review over my blog, I'm really happy and bit sad when I come across various forums such as Indusladies, Canada Visa where people are asking how to get a job in Canada.

Canada is a great country and I really love it but to be true, if you read my previous blogs, you will get to know that it doesn't offer you comforts from the very start. People bring their life savings here to settle but unfortunately, nothing helps. If you really want to come to Canada and settle here, follow my advise here.

1. Don't fall into consultants

Consultants do not help. They are all fake. They give you false advises, some may even bring you here, but to be true if you come through consultants, then you are stuck. I am not scaring you, but advising you my friends. I was also in the same boat, forcing my husband to go to consultant pay him $20,000 to get a job in Canada. But all my gratitude to my dear God, my husband was very adamant. He stated instead of going through consultant and paying him huge amount, he spent his life savings over me. He sent me here to study and then came here on dependent visa. Leaving my story, you can read that in my other posts, I would like to tell you the story of a lady whom I came across a while ago. She and her husband with two kids came to Canada through a consultant from Dubai. They gave $18,000 to consultant and the consultant brought here on a survival job. Her work visa stated that she was working for an employer who was fake. Yes, when she came here she realized that there is no employer. Her husband had quite his job in Dubai, Her children were only 2 & 4 years old. Her husband came here as dependent. He started looking for job, but none helped. At last, the husband returned to Dubai at his earlier job leaving his family here, and his wife is still going around that firm but nobody helps. I asked her to contact immigration and let them know about the situation, but she doesn't want to go them fearing they will deport her. She doesn't know that it wasn't her fault, at least they will help in eradicating this type fraud.

Guys, I really don't want you to give your hard earned money to these people. Instead do some research. I know there aren't any forums that would clearly suggest the problems people face, and so, I decided to write about it.

2. Go for Canadian education

Yeah, even if you are a PHD from any country other than North America and Europe, you will have much difficulty in finding a job here. Experience doesn't matter, higher education none. It only matters in getting the points for your permanent residency application but real Canada is different. If you really want a job in Canada, then enroll yourself in some one year study program and then you will see wonders. You will get the job soon atleast much early. Yes, that's true. Canadians only regard their qualification and experience. They feel that people from third world countries may not have those work ethics that they have here. It is hard to confess but true. Canadians are not racial or partial. They give equal opportunities but you need to get their education for that. My husband studied in England and came here. He got the job in his field with much difficulty and is still struggling to get a stable job that will allow him to get home at 5PM. He his an accountant working in Fort Mcmurray (North of Alberta) away from his wife and struggling. He spent all his life savings on me. Even before graduating from my Masters, I had the job in my hand! That's truth my brothers and sisters. I really regard my husband for all the efforts he did for me.

3. Don't bring family

Yes, if you are deciding to come to Canada, do not bring your family here until you get a job here. At least one spouse working is very important that could earn money, feed the children. Biggest mistake that everybody does is that they get super excited and bring their families here. All their life savings are sucked up and then they struggle and feel depressed. If you want to come here, leave you wife and children back home. Visit here and try your luck. See if the weather suits you, hows the job market; summer (May-August) is very slow-everybody goes on holidays and nobody is hiring. Find some job here and when you think is feasible, bring your family here. This way your savings will be intact and your family will not suffer the trauma.

4. Go to rich province

Saskatchewan and Alberta are the richest provinces in Canada. Do your research and see which province and city matches your skills. Ontario is going down now, no jobs and full of competition among immigrants and newly graduates.Discuss with people on forums. Canada Visa forum is a good place to talk too. People help there and give proper knowledge.

Please my dear friends, I appreciate that you want to come here and turn your life around. But Canada is no fairy tale. There is a lot of struggle. The irony is that our people are trying to rip us off in the form of fraud and consultants. People who are settled here doesn't want to provide true knowledge. Since they have achieved everything, they give false knowledge and hopes to others. I have faced this myself. What to say about unknowns when your known betray you. But I can assure you one thing, its only about break. Once you get a chance, Canada will provide you everything you desire. Its all about patience and trust on yourself and our God.

Note: I have come across many reviews on my post on Canada Visa forum. Friends, I have only written as per what I experienced and got nurtured while speaking with other immigrants. I have never said that I am 100% right. If you want to your opinions and share your experiences, you are most welcome to write in the comments section below. Not all fingers are same and so not everybody agrees what they experience. Share your views here, may be this can assist our other friends!!



16 comments:

  1. Great advice I must say!
    Could I please take your opinion on couple of issues if you have time?
    1. I am an Indian citizen, I did a master's in business management from England, then I worked there for 1.5 years, then I moved to Canada as a student again and now I am about to finish my second master's in Management! I am studying in Ontario by the way. I have been trying to look for part-time jobs ever since I received my OCWP back in May. I just can't even get interview calls for even menial jobs in banks/supermarkets! Any advice? You said hiring is slow between May-August, could that be a factor in addition to the fact that I am in Ontario?

    2. I will be eligible in September to apply for Ontario PNP even without a job offer, but obviously I need a job otherwise what's the point! Do you think I should move to Saskatchewan and try my luck there? Over there I would need a full time job offer in skilled occupation in order to become eligible for PNP. It's a big risk in terms of PR chances but becoming a PR in Ontario but not having a decent job isn't sensible either. Confusion!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ameet, as per my experience I would advice you to look for job in Alberta. We have many apps like Fongo that would give you free internet number with provincial code which you can use while applying for job. If you have any friends living in Alberta or any other province, use their address and apply in their city. That is very useful as it makes employers feel that you are no outsider but actually the resident of that city/province. Summer is bit slow as mostly all go on holidays, but september-oct is pretty fast. Hope that helps!!

      Delete
  2. Nice article Shruti! I love way too much the Canadian life, and the people in this beautiful country. In this article you have exposed the real struggle of an immigrant.

    In my case "JOB" stands between whether to immigrate or not. I have a Canadian PhD in Engineering, but before I tried my luck in getting a job in Canada, I moved to USA on a post-doc contract. Then due to some personal issues I moved back to home, India, and got married. I have not been able to get back to Canada ever since, it's been 20 months since I was in North America. One good thing that happened in my life is just before I left USA I applied for PR, and the application is faring through ups and downs. I have just added my spouse to the application, and we have both finished the medicals.

    I feel like I never gave myself a fair chance of testing my technical skills against Canadian labor force. I feel my skills are getting devalued everyday as I sit outside of Canada. I do have a job, a scientist job for that matter in Indian Government. But this job is not a result of my gruesome grinding during PhD or post-PhD.

    I can only dream of getting back to Canada as I sit outside of it! It is very depressing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Atish, Please don't be depressed. Good thing is you have Phd from Canada. You will definetly get a nice job here once you will permanently come here. One advantage for you is that you don't have to answer any employer regarding temporary sin numbers/work permits. Do not worry and be optimistic....

      Delete
    2. Hello Shruti,
      Two days back I was offered a post-doctoral research assosiate position in a Canadian university. The offer is good, if I can manage a temporary work permit and start the job in next 2-3 months time. I am gathering documents to be mailed to New Delhi. Not sure- if I will be issudd a temporary work permit coz my PR is in process in Ottawa.

      Delete
  3. It is hard but not too hard to get in your own profession soon if you hit with right resume. I shared my experience in Canada visa forum Here is the link
    http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/all-bangladeshi-applicants-forum-t19664.0.html;msg2346575#msg2346575
    If it helps the forum in any way, keep up your motivation, that is the most important thing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Shruti,

    Thank you for sharing ur valuable thoughts and experiences that you got till now by residing in canada.

    You are doing an excellent job by helping so many people from your precious time who want to settle in canada by means of their dreamland.People say that canadian dont have the much time but to read all your blogs,, one things i will say god bless you for the experiences that you are sharing with all..

    I am a working professional with over 5.5 years of experience in IT as well as Telecom. I am confused whether to apply for PR or to go for further studies.. I am from India..


    I have a lot of views from different people some are saying study is not well worth in canada and if you really want to come here and come through FSW(Federal Skilled Worker).. Which course demands more and i can easily get the job once i finished my course.. Shall i need to pursue with the same course for the experience that i got as of now by working..

    So, Could you please guide me how to way forward in this regard.. Whether, i should enrolled for higher studies or PR will work through FSW..

    Your suggestions and feedbacks will be highly appreciated..

    Thank you

    Rahul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would advise you to first apply for PR and then go for higher studies in Canada as then you won't have to pay international tution fees. Studying here really helps as Canadians are little crazy and regard their education as the best. They don't care if you are a PHD from a different country. They will treat you as any other immigrant. You need to show them that you are just not any immigrant but immigrant with a difference. Again, that's my experience here. I don't know anything about others. So, keep surfing :)

      Delete
  5. hi shruti
    i hv got offer from concordia university for master in information security.i want to know how much it is difficult to grab a skilled job in the field of IT after completion of masters?whats the current job scenario dere?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this great content, I really enjoyed the insign you bring to the topic, awesome stuff!
    Study permit Edmonton

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is right that there are fake immigration consultants but all are not so choose right immigration consultants and really there are various canada immigration from india.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Got here through Canada Visa Forum and I'm glad I did.

    I was having doubt whether I should enroll in a university since it's quite expensive. But by reading your post, I consider enrolling again in the future. For now studying online will me keep up-to-date. Thanks for sharing your invaluable tips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI shruti,, thanku very much to provide the relevant information,,,, God bless u Dear,
    can u help me too? I m frm India ,I have done MBA in marketing &finance n working in banking sector frm past4 yrs,,,Now I m looking forward to get PR in Canada..What are the options available there? Plz guide me..

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello , hi I have a Canadian pr . planning to apply jobs in field of IT , as i have 6 months experience working in india as a java developer and have certification too , have various reporting tool knowlege , took training on it.. can u plz guide me how to apply jobs in canada, plz say is it very difficult to get one.job

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi shruti. Thanks for helpful information. But I just want to know that do you have any tips for those who want to study in Canada.?
    study visa consultants in Chandigarh

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Shruti, I like you advice and I am sure that it will prove helpful to students.
    People don't trust consultants because consultants do not support the students in the right way but they support themselves alone.
    Gill Sir and team is not among such consultants and we do not deceive students who come to us for IELTS or for study abroad advice.

    I am sure that it is hard for you to believe but it is a fact.

    Thank you
    Shruti.

    Gill Sir – The best Coaching Class for IELTS/TOEFL in Ahmedabad

    ReplyDelete